It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:51 pm Advanced search

Popularity contest plugin issue.

Fixes for some common known issues will be posted here. Member inputs are welcome.

Popularity contest plugin issue.

Postby jinsona » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:49 am

Hi,

Some users presented issues related to the usage of this plugin on my themes. This is a wonderful plugin , but unfortunately the plugin writer stopped supporting it long time back.
I have resorted to an updated version of that plugin created by wp_guy. His version of the plugin is supplied with my themes. I have checked the plugin to work upto the WP 2.7 version.

ISSUE

Common issue presented by the user is that when the plugin is not activated , the theme does not load fully. For example on Redux theme the plugin is used on the tabbed content area above the sidebar. If plugin is installed and activated the theme will load completely and work normal. But if the plugin is not activated the theme loading will stop at the tabbed content area. That means the sidebar and the footer of the theme will be missing.

REASON

The template tag used to call the popularity contest plugin action is <?php akpc_most_popular(); ?>. It is sufficient to call the plugin action if installed. But it will not go to next step if plugin is not found. Thats why the theme is stuck halfway through.

FIX

The fix obviously is a modified template tag so that it goes to next step if plugin is not found. You can use the following template tag where the old template tag is used.

Code: Select all
<?php if(function_exists('akpc_most_popular')) { akpc_most_popular(); } ?>

My latest themes will come with this template tag so that the theme load error will not happen on them. You can update it on your theme if you have this issue.

Jinsona
FREE WORDPRESS THEMES I GET A CUSTOM WORDPRESS THEME FOR YOU

USE THE SEARCH TO FIND ANY ANSWERS TO YOUR QUERIES BEFORE POSTING THEM. IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF TIME.

POST YOUR BLOG URL [CODE IT] ALONG WITH SUPPORT REQUESTS, ELSE THEY WILL BE IGNORED.
jinsona
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Popularity contest plugin issue.

Postby btd1924 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi Jinson,

Thanks for the fix. As I was searching I found this sight that has the "Popularity-Contest" plugin that works with 2.7.

Here is the link: http://www.dyasonhat.com/wordpress-plug ... g-version/

Hope this helps.
btd1924
Registered Member

Postby jinsona » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:00 pm

btd1924 wrote:Hi Jinson,

Thanks for the fix. As I was searching I found this sight that has the "Popularity-Contest" plugin that works with 2.7.

Here is the link: http://www.dyasonhat.com/wordpress-plug ... g-version/

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for your input btd1924,

Members, plz use this updated plugin if you encounter an issue with Pop:Contest on WP 2.7

Cheers
Jinsona
FREE WORDPRESS THEMES I GET A CUSTOM WORDPRESS THEME FOR YOU

USE THE SEARCH TO FIND ANY ANSWERS TO YOUR QUERIES BEFORE POSTING THEM. IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF TIME.

POST YOUR BLOG URL [CODE IT] ALONG WITH SUPPORT REQUESTS, ELSE THEY WILL BE IGNORED.
jinsona
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby freethinker » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:54 am

I tried using the popularity contents within the plugins folder inside zenmag primus as well from the link above, and in both case I get a "Fatal Error" when I try to activate the plugin. Is there an updated plugin?

Am using WP2.7

regards,
Pratik
freethinker
Registered Member

Postby freethinker » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:27 am

actually it works now, i deleted the plugin, refreshed the page, and then copied it again and tried activating it and it worked! .. does wordpress cache local version? I am having the same problem while editing the theme.

Thanks anyway .. and yes zindus primus is a wonderful theme!
freethinker
Registered Member

Return to Common known issues with themes and fixes.